Domestic Abuse and Violent Crime
In an emergency always dial 999
Clare’s Law website (Clare’s Law gives you the right to ask Police about a partner’s history if you’re concerned they could be violent) – http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/advice-and-information/abuse-against-the-person/domestic-violence-disclosure-scheme
Southern Domestic Abuse Services – www.southerndas.org/
National Domestic Violence Helpline – http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/
Victim Support – http://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Mens Advice Line & Enquiry (MALE) – http://www.mensadviceline.org.uk/mens_advice.php.html
Honour Network Helpline – http://www.karmanirvana.org.uk/
National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline – http://www.galop.org.uk/domesticabuse/
For a full list of services available to you in your area, including refuge and outreach support please visit the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Website www3.hants.gov.uk/healthandwellbeing/domesticabuse.htm
About Domestic Abuse:
Domestic Abuse can affect anyone. It can happen between you and your partner or ex-partner. Domestic Abuse can also happen between other family members.
Domestic Abuse is a series or pattern of behaviour which can be in the form of a threat of violence, actual violence or abuse. It can also take the form of:
- constant criticism
- constant questioning
- witholding money or other material things
- destroying belongings
- making threats
If you are a victim of Domestic Abuse?
- In an emergency always call 999
- Arrange where you might go if you have to leave urgently
- Find places where you can quickly and safely use the phone
- Keep keys, money and anything else you may need in a safe place, should you have to leave quickly
- Talk to your children, let them know it is not their fault.
- Talk to relatives, friends, your doctor, nurse or others about how you feel
Should you decide to leave home try to contact a specialist organisation such as one of those listed above, they will be able to give you some advice on things you may not have thought of, especially leaving safely.