Domestic Abuse and Violent Crime

Domestic Abuse and Violent Crime


If you’re at risk of domestic abuse, remember the Silent Solution:

The Silent Solution system enables a 999 mobile caller who is too scared to make a noise, or speak, to press 55 when prompted – to inform police they are in a genuine emergency.

  1. Dial 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can
  4. If prompted, press 55.  This lets the 999 call operator know it’s a genuine emergency and you’ll be put through to the police.

For more information go to: Make Yourself Heard

Housing and Refuge

Do you have a safe space?

If you aren’t safe in your home because of violence, abuse or threatening behaviour, you can get help with a safe place to stay or support to stay in your home safely. We understand that due to self-isolation staying with family and friends might not be an option.

Help making your house safer

In many situations, we can support you to remain in your own home by supplying and fitting a variety of security measures.  Specialist support workers are also available to help ensure you can remain safely at home rather than having to move.  Call the  Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line who will signpost you to the right service for your area.

Find a place in a refuge

You might be able to get safe housing and support in a refuge.

  • Refuge services could still be an option for you. You can find out about available refuge places by calling the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line on 03300 165 112, asking another support service or the police to help you.
  • Refuge services are still open and accepting referrals. There is guidance for refuges on how to provide support during the Covid-19 pandemic including for survivors and children who may need to self-isolate with them.
  • You may be able to get free rail travel to take up a place in a refuge. Ask the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service about this.
  • There are some refuge options available to male victims of abuse. You can call the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service, the You Trust or the Men’s Advice Line for help finding refuge or similar accommodation.
  • Pets: many refuges are unable to accommodate pets. But there are specialist pet fostering services that can provide a solution. For more information please contact the Dogs Trust Freedom Project or Paws Protect.

Ask the council for help

You can ask any council for homelessness help if you’re at risk in your home or can’t stay there because of domestic abuse.  The council must help with emergency housing if you’re classed as priority need.

You have an automatic priority need if:

  • you have children with you
  • you’re pregnant
  • you’re a care leaver under 21

Even if none of these apply, the council must help with emergency housing if they think you’re vulnerable. For example, because of the abuse or due to physical or mental health problems.

Your local authority housing department still has a responsibility to give you information about your housing options. You will need to contact the department by phone 02392 545476 or email

Domestic Abuse help is available for perpetrators:

Is your family fearful of your behaviour?

The current crisis will be different for every family in Hampshire and for some, this has contributed to an increase in incidents of domestic abuse.

If you are struggling to manage your emotions or behaviour, help and support is available. Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service helps adults and young people who are experiencing all forms of domestic abuse to recognise it and seek help. As part of this service, the Hampton Trust supports those who think they may be hurting or abusing someone to help them to understand and change their behaviour. It takes strength and courage to take this step.

If you need help for yourself or a friend, you can call the confidential Hampshire Domestic Abuse Services Advice Line on 03300 165 112 or the Hampton Trust COVID support line on 02380 009898.

Using drugs or alcohol is never an excuse for violence or abuse:

“Alcohol, drugs and stress make me violent”.  Ever heard yourself say that?

Substance use, stress, anger and trauma do not explain or excuse violence – they do not cause you to be abusive or to hurt someone you love.  Most people who drink never use violence or abuse. There is #noexcuseforabuse.

Domestic abuse includes a range of abuse (not just physical) which is an attempt to control and manipulate a partner or ex-partner.  It is unacceptable but help and support is available.  Our services are open and they want to hear from you.

Help is available from:

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 09:00 – 20:00 hours

COVID helpline for perpetrator support and interventions (provided by the Hampton Trust) 02380 009898,

  • One You offers free information and advice on easy ways to gradually drink less
  • Drink Coach offer a free, quick and confidential test to find out how risky your drinking is.
  • A local confidential alcohol helpline is available in Hampshire for people who want further support: 0300 303 3539
  • If you need help with an alcohol or drug problem you can contact Hampshire treatment services for adults or young people. Support is also available to those affected by someone else’s use of drugs or alcohol.

Children and young people living with domestic abuse:

Is someone in your family hurting someone else?  If abuse is happening at home, you probably want it to stop but you might not be sure what you can do.  The best thing to do is to tell someone what is going on.  You might be able to talk to the person who is being hurt.  If not, you could try talking to a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend’s parent, etc.

You can also call a helpline – they will be able to tell you where you can get help near where you live.

Remember, domestic abuse is not your fault. You won’t get into trouble for telling someone.

Help is available from:

  • Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 09.30 – 17:30 (17:00 hours on Fridays)
  • Childline telephone: 0800 1111

Childline is available for children and young people to reach out for help and support by phone or using their online chat service. They also provide specific guidance for young people on how to get help and what to do if they are worried about a friend.

The NSPCC has issued guidance for spotting and reporting the signs of abuse on their website.

The NSPCC Helpline is available for anyone with concerns about a child to contact for professional advice and support.

  • Barnardo’s

Barnardo’s provides support to families affected by domestic abuse.

  • Family Lives

Family Lives also provide support through online forums.

Domestic abuse & people living with disabilities:

Disabled women are twice as likely to experience domestic violence than those without disabilities. They are also likely to experience abuse over a longer period of time and to suffer more severe injuries as a result of the violence. If you are disabled, your abuser may also be your carer, or your personal assistant and you may be reliant on him/her for personal care or mobility.

There is help and support available for anyone experiencing domestic abuse. The Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service is able to support people with disabilities and have outreach services or independent advocacy services which can help you. If you need safe accommodation some refuges now have full wheelchair access, and workers who can assist you and your children who have special needs such as physical, sensory (hearing or visual) and learning impairments.

Help is available from:

  • Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 09.30 – 17:30 (17:00 hours on Fridays)

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Website

  • Stay Safe East

Stay Safe East provides specialist and holistic advocacy and support services to disabled victims and survivors of abuse.

  • SignHealth

SignHealth provides domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL).

WhatsApp or Facetime: 07970 350366

Telephone 020 3947 2601 or email

  • 999 calls for people who are deaf

If you are deaf or can’t verbally communicate, you can register with the emergencySMS service. Text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger.

Domestic Abuse help is out there for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender + (LGBT+) communities:

Domestic abuse by family, partners, and ex-partners happens in all communities, including to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender +.  Your abuser may also use your sexuality and gender identity against you as a tactic to keep the power and control in your relationship.  This is not ok.

You are entitled to help as much as any other person.  Help is available, services are open and inclusive, and they want to hear from you.  You will be believed.

 Help is available from:

  • Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service Advice Line (provided by Stop Domestic Abuse) 03300 165 112 weekdays 09.30 – 17:30 (17:00 hours on Fridays)
  • Galop – for members of the LGBT+ community

Galop is the LGBT+ specialist anti-violence charity that works on issues of hate crime, sexual violence, and domestic abuse.  Galop runs the National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline 0800 999 5428 or email them at

  • Hampshire Police Lesbian and Gay Liaison Officers (LAGLOs)

Officers dedicated to supporting members of the LGBT+ community. Trained to respond to LGBT+ domestic abuse and undertake specific risk assessment.

  • YOU Trust refuge, Dorset

Offers a service to support people from LGBT+ and BAME communities, male victims and women will older boys who would not be able to access most refuge spaces.  Telephone 0800 032 5204 or email

The following link contains the most up to date information, advice and resources for Domestic Abuse support services:

Domestic Abuse support services – information, advice and resources

Hampshire Domestic Abuse Service – 0330 0165 112

Stop Domestic Abuse (Portsmouth) – 02392 065494

Aurora New Dawn – 02392 479254

Aurora New Dawn 24/7 helpline – 02394 216816

Hampton Trust Perpetrator Service – 02380 009898 (Mon, Weds and Fri 09:00-17:00, Tues and Thurs 09:00-20:00)

Yellow Door (Southampton) – 02380 636313

PIPPA (Southampton) – 02380 917917

You Trust (Isle of Wight) – 0800 2346 266

National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247

Men’s Advice Line – 0808 8010 327

National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0800 999 5428

If you are a child or young person and domestic abuse is happening in your home or relationship please call Childline on 0800 1111.

About Domestic Abuse:

Domestic Abuse can affect anyone. It can happen between you and your partner or ex-partner. Domestic Abuse can also happen between other family members.

Domestic Abuse is a series or pattern of behaviour which can be in the form of a threat of violence, actual violence or abuse. It can also take the form of:

  • constant criticism
  • pressure
  • disrespect
  • isolation
  • harassment
  • constant questioning
  • witholding money or other material things
  • destroying belongings
  • making threats

If you are a victim of Domestic Abuse?

  • In an emergency always call 999
  • Arrange where you might go if you have to leave urgently
  • Find places where you can quickly and safely use the phone
  • Keep keys, money and anything else you may need in a safe place, should you have to leave quickly
  • Talk to your children, let them know it is not their fault.
  • Talk to relatives, friends, your doctor, nurse or others about how you feel

Should you decide to leave home try to contact a specialist organisation such as one of those listed above, they will be able to give you some advice on things you may not have thought of, especially leaving safely.

Useful contacts:

In an emergency always dial 999

Clare’s Law website (Clare’s Law gives you the right to ask Police about a partner’s history if you’re concerned they could be violent) –

Stop Domestic Abuse  –

National Domestic Violence Helpline

Victim Support –

Mens Advice Line & Enquiry (MALE) –

Honour Network Helpline –

National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline –

For a full list of services available to you in your area, including refuge and outreach support please visit the Hampshire Domestic Abuse Website