Support for Veterans

Alabare Homes for Veterans

Alabare Homes for Veterans offer housing and support to ex-service personnel who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.  All residents must have served in the British Armed Forces.

In Hampshire we currently have homes in Gosport and Fareham with 20 bed spaces in supported accommodation, providing a higher level of support, and 4 bed spaces in move-on accommodation where you can live more independently while learning the skills you need to maintain your own home.  Our largest Home for Veterans in Gosport, Greenwich House, has been made possible thanks to the generous support of Greenwich Hospital.

Each of the houses is within working distance of local amenities and bus services to the Town Centre.

To be eligible for Alabare Homes for Veterans you must:

  • Currently be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • Be willing to work with support staff towards becoming more independent and obtaining accommodation which is suitable for your needs
  • Be willing and able to pay towards your accommodation costs
  • Be a veteran of the British Armed Forces (a veteran is defined as anyone who has served in the Armed Forces for at least one day. This service can be in the regular Armed Forces or the Reserve.  The term can also apply, under certain circumstances to Merchant Seafarers or fisherman.  Those who fall under these categories will be assessed for eligibility on an individual basis).

Within the homes individuals can access training and skills needed for independent living including: budgeting, healthy eating, shopping and life skills.  Individuals can stay in the home for a maximum of 1 year.  The support team can also assist with individuals accessing other appropriate agencies including counselling services, drug and alcohol agencies and groups, Citizens Advice Bureau and NHS services wherever necessary.

Assistance will also be provided when it comes to individuals moving on to their own homes.  This will include supporting individuals to find the right home and assisting with practical tasks of setting up a new home.

Referrals are accepted for the homes from local support agencies, the Royal British Legion, local prisons and charities.  If you think Alabare Homes for Veterans could be right for you, you can also self-refer.  Email or call 02392 175230

SSAFA – Practical housing advice and support to veterans and their dependents

SSAFA can offer impartial guidance around housing issues for those who have left the Armed Forces.  SSAFA’s guidance includes homelessness, housing benefits, accessing social housing, tenants’ rights, mortgage arrears, repossession and eviction.

The advisors cannot give legal advice but will look into a situation and explain options.  SSAFA will signpost to other organisations for help.  Advisors also work together with wider volunteer networks to try and source financial assistance that might be needed to solve housing problems, for example finding money for a deposit or to clear mortgage arrears.

Contact SSAFA Hampshire on 07413 417226 (Monday – Friday 09:00 – 15:00) or visit

SSAFA’s services are only available to people who have received at least one day’s pay from the Armed Forces (British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, Royal Marines including reserves) or are in the immediate family of someone who served.