Anti Slavery Day take place on Sunday 18th October 2020 and aims to raise awareness of human trafficking and modern slavery. The number of modern slavery victims is on the increase and reached a record high in the UK last year.
Modern slavery may exist in your community and it is everyone’s responsibility to look out for signs and report any suspicions or incidents – you can do this online via the Hampshire & IOW Modern Slavery Partnership website or call the confidential helpline 0800 012 1700
Spot the signs
- Works long hours in harsh or unsafe conditions
- Is living in dirty, cramped or overcrowded accommodation
- Is living and working at the same address
- Is not able to move around freely and appears to be under someone else’s control
- Is rarely allowed to travel on their own
- demonstrates signs of physical or psychological abuse, such as lacking self esteem, seeming anxious, bruising or untreated medical conditions
- Appears frightened, withdrawn or shows signs of physical or psychological abuse e.g. looking malnourished or unkempt
- Is reluctant to seek help and avoids eye contact with strangers or the authorities
- Is fearful of the police, doesn’t know who to trust or where to get help.
- Has no control of their identification documents, such as their passport